4. Speaking and listening development
Learners on the English My Way programme will be working on four language skills, but speaking and listening in English should always come before the development of reading and writing skills: learners must understand all the vocabulary and meaning of any sentence before they try to read it.
In this module there are seven units exploring speaking and listening teaching and learning strategies.
- Unit 1: Role play (interactive online activity) – how and why to use them
- Unit 2: Role play (Bitesize CPD video) – this video gives a practical step-by-step guide to using role play activities in class
- Unit 3: Mingling (interactive online activity) – this activity provides a step-by-step guide to using mingling activities to develop speaking (A CPD video about this is available on YouTube)
- Unit 4: Integrating pronunciation (interactive online activity) – 2 units (1 and 2) the basics of pronunciation and how to include it in your lessons
- Unit 5: Drilling new language (bitesize CPD video) – this video gives a guide to using drilling techniques in class
- Unit 6: Using Audio and Visual Resources (interactive online activity) – how to use audio, video and images to get your learners talking
- Unit 7: A practical approach for Using Video (interactive online activity) – this activity provides a step-by-step guide to use video resources in class (A CPD video about this is available on YouTube).
It is recommended that you do the units together with colleagues so you can reflect and discuss the ideas together.
Teacher guidance part 1. Introduction and Teacher guidance part 3. Speaking, listening and more have more information about teaching speaking and listening.
There are also 4 PDFs
- Role play: extending your CPD – gives more sources to improve your techniques using role plays.
- Audio and visual handout – crib sheet to remind you of things you can do using images, video and audio
- Supporting the Integration of pronunciation - giving some ideas for including pronunciation in your teaching
- Drilling techniques - giving ideas for different ways of drilling language