2. Assessment: Supporting the ‘Learner Journey’
This module shows how assessment for English My Way has been designed to be a positive and useful process for teachers, volunteers and, most importantly, for learners. The Professional Development resources available are:
- Assessment: an overview (interactive online activity) – read slides 1 to 9, watch the 4 videos then answer the quiz questions.
- Initial assessment (video) – shows how to find and carry out initial assessment for English My Way.
- Diagnostic assessment (video) – explains how, why and when to carry out diagnostic assessment.
- Formative assessment (video) – shows how we recommend you check your learners’ progress.
- Summative assessment (video) – explains how to demonstrate what and how much your learners have learnt.
- Assessing learning (bitesize CPD video) – this video shows English My Way teachers explaining how they assess learners in lessons .
It is recommended that you do the units together with colleagues so you can reflect and discuss the ideas together.
The ‘Skills for Life strategy’ in England (2001 – 2010), which included adult ESOL, promoted the concept of an assessment cycle or a learning journey. You can learn more about assessment approaches by viewing an Assessment starter kit